Thursday, July 17, 2003

Julius Caesar was addressing the crowd in the Coliseum.
"Friends, Romans and Countrymen, lend me your ears. Tomorrow I take our glorious army to conquer Northern Europe and I shall start with France. We shall kill many 50,000 Gauls and return victorious."

The crowd are up on their feet "Hail mighty Caesar!"

Brutus turns to his mate and says "That's bollocks! The liar!"

Six months later, Caesar comes back having conqured France and addresses the crowd in the Coliseum. "Friends, Romans and
Countrymen, I have returned from our campaign in France and as I promised, we killed 50,000 Gauls."

"Hail mighty Caesar!" yells the crowd.

"What a load of rubbish" says Brutus. "I'm gonna check this out."

Brutus sets off for France and three weeks later he comes back to Rome. Caesar is addressing the public in the Coliseum again.
" Friends, Romans and Countrymen, tomorrow we set off for Britain and we are going to sort those pasty-white lily-livered wimps out."

The crowd are up on their feet. "Hail mighty Caesar!" they cry.

Brutus jumps up and shouts, "Caesar, you are a liar. You told us that you had killed 50,000 Gauls in France but I've been there, I asked around, you only killed 25,000!"

The crowd are stunned and all sit down in silence.

Caesar gets wearily to his feet, looks slowly round the Coliseum, sighs and says to Brutus:

"Yes, noble friend. But everyone knows away Gauls count double in Europe."

No comments: