Monday, July 09, 2007

Football fracas

Yes it happened again.

I didn't lose my temper again but I did walk off the pitch in protest. The reason is simple.

We were playing a man down, but still managed to hold our own, racing to a 5-1 lead thanks to a brace from me. You would agree that we were winning not because we were better, but because we were playing better.

Anyhow, at the beginning of the second half, Matthew, who was on our team decided to swap with Darrell. For what reasons only they know. If it is to correct an unfairness in the teams, I'm afraid they only tipped it the other way. As a result, they went into a 6-5 lead by the end. Our team was demoralised and I felt it was all so unfair how we worked so hard to establish a lead, only for the other team to change a team that had already been decided at the start, and hence secure an unfair advantage. They looked pretty chuffed when they scored the winner, but where's the pride in that?

At that point I walked off not because they won, but more of how the whole thing stank of inequality. And I suspect there were other reasons for the swap then just helping the other team. Let's just say perhaps two people wanted to play on the same team.

I did not shout at anyone, but at the end, I coolly told them my reasons for my walk-off to register my protest and disillusionment with the whole situation. As far as I'm concerned, it may be just a game, but at least let it be a fair game. Who wants to win or lose unfairly?

It's water under the bridge now; I hope they don't take teams that have been selected lightly and frivolously in future.

Went for dinner afterwards with Amos, Kenneth and Teckseng, among others, so everything should be OK. Think Ben should be alright too.

No comments: