Sunday, March 25, 2007

Maths teasers

There are two cups of equal capacity, with equal volumes of coffee and tea respectively. I take a full teaspoon of coffee and add it to the cup with tea. I then give it a good stir. Then I take a teaspoon of this mixture and add this to the cup of coffee.
Is there now more tea in the coffee, or more coffee in the tea?

----------

Imagine that there is a metal band around the Earth that fits snugly such that there is no gap between the Earth and the band. Assume that the Earth is a perfect sphere.
I snip off the band and lengthen it by adding a 10-metre strip. I then adjust the band back in place, thereby ensuring that te gap between the band and the Earth is uniform all around. How big is the gap?

==========

SMS 94566789 with your answers. Prizes for right answers and explanations, unless of course I've already told you the solution.

No comments: