Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The shit hits the fan

Alternative title: All hell breaks loose.

It's been coming for a while, but it finally boiled over last week. If you ever need a case study on why communication is important and considering people's needs, do approach me. I'd been trying for a month to talk to some people regarding issues in their life that concerned me, but I detected some obviously evasive action. NIL replies to SMSes, emails and missed calls for ONE WHOLE MONTH.

It was an accident waiting to happen, and it did. Despite my best efforts, I was not in the know, due to a infuriating lack of communication. Having advised the organiser to reconsider the activty, I had to step back and let them make the decision, otherwise they'd learn nothing from it. And so the activity suffered from a lack of time and consideration and the participants' needs.

To top it all off, I bore the brunt of the criticism, as I strived to protect the people from hurtful and demoralising comments. Ruined my day, but I'm still glad I did it. All this would be useless if the people now STILL do not communicate with me to review the event, but I did what I had to do.

I just hope that I find out at the end of the day that it was all my fault because of dodgy Starhub SMSes. I'd be incredibly relieved that I was the buffoon.

No comments: