Friday, July 21, 2006

Meet the Parents session

Oh man. I can't believe I sat for 3 hours straight listening and talking to parents. Thank goodness I have the ability to ad-lib. Shirley wasn't feeling well so I had to take over. Talk about 6hr relief man. Things are halfway through and I have another 14 to go.

Ugh. That was horrible. I was dehydrated, tired, sticky, and my left eye started twitching halfway through. An experience certainly. I enjoyed talking to some parents and realised that most of them really need the teacher's advice in handling and helping their kids. I found myself repeating advice about reading journals, checking and reward systems. I also realised how woeful my Mandarin is. I struggled to link three sentences together and was always looking for the right word to use. Translated, some of it sounded like, "In order for him to improve, he must improve by putting more interest in his work. This is done by increasing his interest." Spastic right?

That aside, I always felt this feeling that they were hanging on to my every word, trying to know what it was they had to do. It also felt that I was one wrong adjective away from an argument. I was glad to provide my observations, with most of them concurring. Some were in such disbelief that the pupil I described was so unlike the one they had at home.

I'm gonna take my class for PE on Tuesday, but I hope it can be a time of photo-taking. I'll always remember my first batch of little angels and devils. Damn, I miss them to bits.

No comments: