Sunday, August 14, 2005

Fantasy Football Week 1

OK I hope this will be a regular thing where I post my team and rationale for choosing them, for the benefit for those new to the game.

I base my teams heavily on their opposition, TeamTalk's suggestion's, but mostly gut instinct. I also don't choose Man Utd's opponents.

This is my team for Week 1. No Henry or Lampard or Terry or Cech, as together they'd already make up 70% of my budget. Instead, it's a budget-friendly team. For the first week, try to pick players that did not play last season e.g. Crespo, Park Ji Sung, Del Horno, the promoted teams, as their values are dirt cheap. Goals are 10 points this season, inclusive of a shot on goal. Clean sheets are 5 points. Personally I fabour 3-4-3 for my formation, as I consider strikers the best bet for points. Buy defenders primarily on the strength of the defensive unit and the opposition, as this normally overrides the defender's independent scoring potential.

Didier Drogba

Chelsea are facing promoted Wigan and the Ivorian is likely to start after his brace against Arsenal. I expect him to get good service no matter who the midfielders are, and Wigan may have their hands full dealing with the powerful Drogba.
One assist, but a largely ineffectual game. He's a Mourinho favourite, so I might keep him.


Djibril Cisse

It was a toss up between Cisse and Morientes but I'm going for speed against Boro's experienced backline. With Liverpool away, a counter-attacking game would suit Benitez and Cisse very well. I expect Cisse to test Schwarzer fully.
Just heard he isn't in the starting lineup as Benitez is playing one-up. Let's hope Liverpool need him to come on.


Kevin Phillips

This one I'm not so sure. However, traditionally Villa are always good at home, and with Berger and Solano supplying crosses, Phillips might get a few chances. He has something to prove after last season with Southampton.
Spot on! Wasn't too sure about it, but Phillips came up with a goal an assist in a match where Villa weren't all that good.


Laurent Robert

He takes all the free kicks and corners and has more crosses than Constantine. Tottenham have impressed pre-season but could be shocked by a new-look Pompey. Expect one of Robert's crosses to be pinged in.
A poor Pompey performance, but Robert had 3 SOTs, so not too bad an individual performance.


Matthew Etherington

I based this choice on hearsay that he was on fire last season for WHUFC. Having played for Spurs before, Etherington is not new to the Premiership, and is a wiser player now.
In retrospect a huge risk, seeing how it was WHUFC's first Premiership match, but a goal and an assist justified his selection. West Ham has balls and Etherington proved it.


Cristiano Ronaldo

This is the gut feel I was talking about. I picked Ronaldo because I couldn't afford Ruud or Rooney, so Ronnie will have to do. I expect him to provide the ammo for United's in-form strikers. With his cross- and shot-rate, I just need one to go in.
So much for gut feel. He's the only one of United's three Rs that didn't play nor score.


Trevor Sinclair

Man City seem to have made some quality close season signings, but it could be one of the old guard who could impress. No longer overshadowed by SWP, Sinclair could impress and add to his England cap collection this season, beginning with WBA.
Quiet game. Might not pick him again soon.


Asier del Horno

Yes you can hear the snickering Ah Bengs already, but he may have the last laugh. Priced at a measly 5 units, the horny one has impressed preseason, and may have done enough to put him ahead of Gallas and Bridge for the left-back slot. Free clean sheet.
About that free clean sheet, that's four points in the bag. Add assorted tackles, clearances, crosses, interceptions, fouls won, and you've got yourself good valur for five units.


Kolo Toure

With Campbell injured, I still fancy Arsenal to get a clean sheet against a toothless Newcastle. Toure has better stats than Senderos, and is slightly cheaper. No brainer there.
Clean sheet + two SOTs. At least 10 points there.


Nigel Reo-Coker

The West Ham actually plays attacking midfield, but has been mislabelled a defender. Yahoo's loss, my gain. He is this year's Quinton Fortune, earning clean sheets and attacking points as well. A manager's dream.
Fantastic choice. Energetic attacking midfielder that could produce many chances for Harewood, Sheringham, Zamora etc. Hope he can cement a place in my team.


Edwin van der Sar

The answer to our goalkeeping woes? Perhaps not. But I still fancy him to keep a clean sheet, with planty of work to do against the aerial bombardment of Cahill, Ferguson, Beattie et al.
Yes! Saved United on a few occasions and played well. He's a first choice in my team from now on.

No comments: