Friday, September 08, 2006

Brain scan

I had a brain scan today. After which they were proud to inform me that, yes, I have a brain.

No seriously I had an fMRI (functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging) that took scans of my brain while I was engaged in some diagrammatic and algebraic mathematical equations. I had nine seconds to solve them and a further two seconds to give a yes/no response when an answer was flashed. On top of that, I had ear plugs and mufflers on, with an uncomfortable bite bar in my mouth that kept my mouth open for two hours. Swallowing saliva was difficult and I could not leave the chamber for the enitre time. When I got out I was all woozy and disoriented.

And what did they tell me about my brain?
"Wah your brain very long leh. Like ang mo one."
Me: "That would explain a lot."
Lab technician: "Hah?"
Me: "Never mind. Ummm, where's the toilet?"

Being paid $30 helped sooth my resonating headache.

No comments: