Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Tuition

Had my first tuition lesson with Eliana today. Having had a 17-hour sleep, I was understandably wide awake.
I started from the basics of the four operations, and identified and targetted the areas she had problems in. As suspected, this included problem sums. So our plan is to target topical weak points and problem sum strategies concurrently. I bought her two assessment books that addressed these shortcomings and found them very relevant and concise. I'm spending two hours with her each Monday, though this should increase as we get closer to SA2 in about five weeks time.
Her mum and I have agreed a rate of $25/hour, which I was reluctant to accept as I apprecaite their family situation (five children), but eventually did after I checked with her three times if she was comfortable with the fee she proposed.
It did not matter that it was slightly below market rate, as I'm doing it to help Eliana, to keep myself in touch with teaching and least of all the extra pocket money.
I hope Eliana can score really well for her Maths! I'm thinking of letting her take the Multiple Intelligences test next week to see what method of instruction she is suited for.

No comments: