Thursday, June 17, 2004

Simply believe

"Where can I go to escape your spirit? Where can I flee to escape your presence?"
Psalm 139:7

"My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest."
Exodus 33:14

"Don’t be afraid, for I will protect you. I call you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I am with you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned."
Isaiah 43:1-2

First, a very real and important truth. When you ask God for something, ie petition, God basically has three answers:
1. No, it's not good for you.
2. Later, at a more appropriate time.
3. I'll give you something better.
Learn to accept God's good and perfect will, even if it's not what you want.

OK now devotion proper. I will affirm God's presence in my life daily.

The psalmist David seems to realise how futile it is to flee from God.
It's futility is two-fold:
1. God is omni-present is He is always with you.
2. In the first place, why would we want to be away from him?

God has explicitly proclaimed that His presence will go with us, and He will give us rest. Hallelujah!

Secondly, to be away from God and His will is the WORST that could happen. It means you are not dissimilar to any non-believer, trying to do everything in your own strength.

"Fear not!", God says. He has redeemed, selected and called us individually, and we are His. Through toil and trouble, cauldron bubble, HE WILL BE THERE. All we have to do is turn to him in a Shakespearean soliloquy ie prayer.

That is God's promise and commitment. And He keeps His promises. =]

No comments: